Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Road Less Travelled

Welcome, fellow pilgrims, to a place where police officers may dare to journey on the road less travelled. I launch this blog with some trepidation as it is often very difficult, if not dangerous, to speak of issues long suppressed within the profession of policing.

I have walked a difficult journey of burn-out, depression, chaotic living, disillusionment, whistleblowing, malicious persecution and redemption. I have shed many tears and fought many battles. My passion for justice and truth has been honed through trial and suffering and, by God's grace, it has brought me to health and wholeness.

Through this journey I have a developed a passion to helping others navigate similar dark waters and thus the forming of this blog.

My story ( and we all have a story ) has been very public and I will share it in more depth in future posts. Many police officers know my story. The irony is that while many have cheered and supported, many others have maligned and criticized. Such is life when you choose the road less travelled.

My desire for this blog is that it will be a place of dialogue, support and hope, for hurting cops out there, and there is more hurt than many of us know. I have numerous friends in the profession. Many others have called me out of the blue for advice or support as they go through the sausage grinder that is the police disciplinary process. I have friends suffering from PTSD who have made mistakes and errors in judgment ( don't we all?), and yet are now discarded and villified by a system and ethos that is often heartless and cruel. My heart breaks for them and I choose to care.

This site is for them and the hundreds - if not thousands- of others out there who are, perhaps, overcommitted, overworked, frustrated, disillusioned and in desperate need of balance and insight.

One cop suicide is too many. One cop destroyed by addiction is too many. One family torn apart by the stressors of "the job" is too many. It's time for cops to care. It's time to take off the macho mask ( male and female ) and admit our frailties and vulnerabilities. It's time to stand up to bully bosses and deception, and it's time to recover the heart and soul of a noble and courageous profession. I am committed to doing my part in that process. Please pass this blog on to other police officers and their families. Please join me on this journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Universities