Thursday, July 13, 2006

Exposing the Sacred Cow - Part II

The legend of "cow tipping" is just that, an urban myth that suggests that some people engage in tipping cows over while they are sleeping which renders them unable to get up. It has been the subject matter of sitcoms, cartoons, and parody. While this may be legend, perhaps the imagery could be used to suggest that some cows just need to be tipped.

The emotions and understanding that come from the culture of policing are very complex. We come to understand the word pride as a good thing. Pride in the uniform and pride in the profession are oft heard statements of truth within the police culture. But it is this pride that becomes a double edge sword when it does not have an objective standard of goodness to compare it with. There are many things that I was personally involved in during my career in the RCMP that I am "proud" of. And there are many things that I am not proud of. There are many things that the profession could be proud of, and many that they certainly should not be.

In my view a more realistic view of the profession is a much healthier and balanced view. There is goodness and successes to be proud of and mistakes and tragedies to not be proud of. Both exist within any environment. An unrealistic and blind pride, in spite of the errors and fallibilities of the environment, places the protectors of the image into a defensive and combative position, or in a position where doing what is right becomes subservient to doing what looks good.

Make no mistake, I care deeply for the profession of policing and for the RCMP. I do so with my eyes wide open and my own wounds recovering. I do so with a realistic view of a noble profession comprised of people in all of their humanity, good, bad and ugly.

I unabashedly attempt to come from a Christian worldview, long ago lost, and by God's grace re-discovered in my despair and brokenness of a shattered image of my profession and my own identity. I thank God that the sacred cow of my previous worship, the false idol of RCMP image, had been tipped ( along with all of my other idols like self and ego) and I have entered into a worldview that helps me make sense of life, love, relationships, and even the profession of policing.

I hope to help others reframe their own worldview to one that brings a journey of peace and courage, honesty and truth, understanding and wisdom and most importantly freedom. Freedom from fear, freedom from oppression, freedom from darkness and despair, and freedom from the worship of their own sacred cows.

I have exposed the sacred cow of policing, the next step for many is to choose to engage in the sport of tipping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Universities