Monday, September 18, 2006

Angry Decisions - Step Seven

The Twelve Steps - Step Seven

Original wording ( A.A.): Humbly asked our Higher power to remove our shortcomings.

Corporate Wording: The motivation for making management decisions will no longer come from pride and arrogance, anger and defensiveness, or power and control. Decisions will come from humble and honest dialogue, wisdom and courage, empathy and understanding.

Commentary:

I have postponed moving on to the seventh step of the twelve step theme of cultural reformation because I do not wish to be overly critical of an institution that I still care about. When we talk of reformation and transformation, however, it is inevitable that an honest and critical analysis of shortcomings take place. I do not profess to be without shortcomings myself, nor do I necessarily have the answers. What I have had opportunity to do is to reflect and learn from my own weaknesses and shortcomings and come to desire change. I have also done much reflection on the institutional shortcomings that I have experienced. As in my own case, bringing these to light will cause pain, but this is a necessary step in the recovery process.

The RCMP as an institution is in dire need of change. There are too many broken and wrecked lives at stake, past, present and future. My use of story and illustration from my experiences is not designed to "embarass" but rather to shine light on the institutional shortcomings that really flow out of the shortcomings of individuals.

This commentary may prove to be my most provocative and controversial yet, however I feel compelled to speak truth for the sake of the institution and the individuals within, particularly those who are passionate for positive change.

In 1999, in my frustration and disillusionment with a seemingly manipulative strategy of apparent propaganda in the "war" on biker gangs, I released some benign documents to an author which outlined a national strategy to use media releases about biker gang activity to motivate the public to put pressure on the government to provide more resources for police. The strategy in and of itself, while, in my view, ineffective and politically motivated, was not necessarily so outrageous. When coupled with the historic investigative inaction against biker gangs, it became a strong issue of frustration for many investigationally minded police officers.

I have always maintained that my actions were ill advised and a lapse in judgment. What I have also maintained is that my motives were true and my frustrations were valid. To some, this sounded like a half hearted apology. I could not, however, compromise on my own motives. They were true then and they are true now. Once these documents were printed ( which was not my intent) and other police officers were suspected, in good conscience and with much anguish I admitted my actions to my managers.

My own 'mea culpa' resulted in a dominoe effect of decisions based on the foundation of anger, fear, and negative pride. In preparation for my internal disciplinary hearing I sought out the evidence to support this argument. Several disclosure, and Privacy Act requests later I gleaned the evidence that I required.

Senior executives in the RCMP could not disguise their rage in e-mails as they dialogued back and forth about the media attention my case was generating. The RCMP prosecutor's correspondance with other senior officers dripped with sarcasm and contempt. These emotions eventually resulted in his illegal withholding of relevant disclosure evidence, and my successful bid for justice at the Federal Court of Canada.

Orders were given, suspensions and attempted stoppages of pay, gag orders, and administrative intimidation tactics employed. Two or three witnesses remarked after my hearing that the piercing and intimidating stare of the RCMP adjudication board chairman had a rattling effect on their ability to courageously speak truth.

The rage did not stop with me. At least three police officers who gave evidence became victims of career sabotage, with one losing his security clearance for seven months, without evidence or investigation. All for the offence of speaking truth under oath. The details of what took place at this time would shock and dismay most objective observers, and as I work towards the writing of a book on these experiences, I know in my heart that there are some stories that need to be told. Good men of integrity were hurt deeply as the creeping tentacles of anger and contempt took hold of otherwise decent people in positions of authority.

Inevitably, decisions made from fear, rage, contempt, arrogance, and intimidation are wrong decisions. I thank God for the courage He gave me to stand against these decisions and challenge them.

The disciplinary process and decisions stemming from these negative emotions were wrong, and the Federal Court of Canada agreed, overturning an order to resign, and re-instating me to the RCMP.

The shortcomings of the RCMP, and I would suggest all police agencies, are highlighted in the decisions that come from areas of pride, anger, contempt, sarcasm, cynicism and abuse of power. When decisions are made under the influence of wisdom and the emotions of peace, kindness, courage, and doing what is right, these become decisions that will restore the institution of the RCMP to one of nobility and honor.

There are wise and courageous leaders in the RCMP. It is up to them to stand against the shortcomings of their peers. Angry people make angry decisions. Peaceful and wise people make peaceful and wise decisions. These will always be the right decisions.

I ask this question of the reader. Does reading this make you angry? Or does reading this make you smile and reflect on the possibility that what I am attempting to say may make some sense. Is it possible?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Far from making me angry, your posting makes me hopeful - hopeful that change within the RCMP is seen as crucial at a fundamental level. Do we believe that only the currently existing models of a police force are possible, or do we hold to a broader vision, one where individuals seeking careers as peace officers are motivated by virtues (there are, I believe, 52 virtues common to all world religions); one where those currently serving have the courage to cultivate and live by these same virtues.
The RCMP is not a stagnant entity, but a dynamic human system, not unlike a family. I'm reminded of Kevin Cameron's paper on 'Trauma in Human Systems,' and wonder if the RCMP as an organization has itself become traumatized, and disconnected from it's mandate 'To Serve and Protect.' It seems to me that your experience in being dismissed was simply a symptom of the inherent 'dis-ease' within the force.
Thousands of organizations worldwide are effecting dramatic change. I know locally of The Virtues Project, founded by Linda Kavelin Popov (of Salt Spring Island, BC). It is taught in schools, governments (and yes even in prisons) both locally and internationally, helping to create a culture of caring, and helping people who are seeking to deepen their spiritual practices. Perhaps it could be the first course offered at Depot.

11:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Universities