Friday, July 14, 2006

Who am I when I'm not a cop ?


The warning signs of burnout are quite visible to those around us, yet sometimes impossible for us to see in ourselves. Working longer hours, getting increasingly irritable, having an unhealthy balance in life priorities, sleeplessness, anger, drug or alcohol abuse... all of these can be signs or symptoms of burnout. Our bodies tell us when we are unbalanced in our life and our priorities.

Taking stock of life, taking a time-out from your identity as a police officer and seeking professional help is a beginning. There has always been a stigma attached to the idea of psychological/emotional therapy, particularly in the police culture. Once again it may be perceived as a sign of weakness which police officers are loathe to do. Yet in reality asking for help is a sign of courage.

I encourage police officers to once again begin with asking themselves questions. In particular, when facing depression, frustration or burnout, the following question may be helpful:

Who am I when I'm not a cop? Comprising a list of your roles is a beginning and may look like this.

My role as husband or wife or partner
My role as father or mother
My role as family member
My role in community
My role in friendships
My role in a position of influence

and so on.

The next question to ask is " how would those touched by my role describe how I am doing in that role."

This is a tough question, particularly when our lives are unbalanced. If your other, and in my view more important, roles are suffering as a result of your profession then you may be heading for burnout or worse. Re-assess, re-evaluate, and choose change so that when you ask the question " who am I when I'm not a cop?" You may be able to respond," I am Sue, or Frank, and I have value within my relationships outside of my profession."

If you are suffering from depression and lack of sleep please take the step of seeking out professional help. Talk to other cops who have come back from burnout or stress leave and ask them how they coped and what steps they took. Remove the stigma of asking for help. Some of the best cops I know have suffered from burnout or depression and have regained balance to go on to a healthier life and career.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Universities