Thursday, July 27, 2006

What's my motivation?

Several years ago I was a member of the RCMP's anti-terrorist unit, SERT, in Ottawa. This unit was highly trained and staffed with motivated and dedicated police officers. SERT was eventually replaced by an arm of the Canadian Forces entitled JTFII. Near the end of its existence SERT endured a large scale investigation into allegations of racism against francophone members, and insubordination. Part of these allegations came from a senior officer who had been placed in charge of the team during the time of transition from the RCMP to the military.

This officer had tremendous difficulty in gaining the respect of the team he was assigned to lead and in an effort to produce what seemed to be a fear based motivation to conform, once commented to several members of the team. " When I am working I ask myself would I be doing this same thing if that man was standing here? I do my work as if he is here all the time " The picture he pointed to was a picture of the Commissioner of the RCMP.

I tell this story not to sully the reputation of SERT, or the officer who made the comment, rather I am using this illustration to identify the danger of fear based leadership. This officer seemed to be motivated by either the idolization, or fear of, the Commissioner of the RCMP. For many officers there seems to be an intrinsic fear of: making mistakes, subjective discipline, or abuses of power.

If one's motivation for trying to do the right thing comes from a paradigm of fear, idolatry, power or personal ambition, then it is coming from the wrong place. These motivators will not sustain our health for the long term haul of life and career.

I have spent much of my life motivated by a combination of these unhealthy influences. Most of us have. Yet they will always leave us wanting. We are left with a sense of uneasiness, if not defeat. We become defined by our lack of courage in making decisions that are right and just. In short, we compromise. Compromising on doing what is right inevitably leads us into a downward spiral of mediocrity, self-centeredness, and despair.

The question then becomes; where is our compass in determining right and wrong? Do we point to a photo of a man in power, which is really nothing more than 'Comissioner-olatry'? Or do we look inward to that deeper sense of conviction, that intrinsic conscience that sometimes haunts us in those lonely hours of the morning when we can't sleep, something nudging us to acknowledge that things are not quite right and change is necessary. I encourage others to listen to that voice of conscience, for it is the voice of truth.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye The Noo said...

My wife recommended your blog to me.I have spent the last 20 minutes reading all your past posts. Your writing is inspiring and i am going to add this to my list of blogs that I will keep up with on a regular basis. I am not a cop but a teacher which I do not advertise on my blog.I do have a heart for Canadians and have been contemplating moving there to live and possibly minister. Stranger still is that my wife and I in our research were considering Edmonton Alberta or BC the places we would consider living. I will keep in touch.

11:09 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I deeply appreciate your blog Bob, and have read most of your postings. I knew of your situation with the Force when Mclean's published the story several years ago, and I wished then I could have offered my support. I'm a former member, and had my own 'hit over the head' many years ago.
While I miss being of service as a peace officer, I needed to grow spiritually outside the profession, and contribute indirectly instead.
I believe if we base our actions and decions on the direction of anyone attempting to lead through power or coercion we've lost the connection to our source. It doesn't seem to matter whether we're following the direction of the upper ranks of the RCMP, leaders of corporation or government, people in our communities, or family members. Any time we choose to not follow our 'inner knowing,' we've struck a compromise. As William Penn wrote, "Those people who are not governed by God will be ruled by tyrants."
The challenge as I see it is in regaining or maintaining that spiritual connection; it isn't always the easy path. In situations of abuse, it can be extremely difficult to step away from fear, recover, and learn to listen from our souls.
I am grateful for the courage you're demonstrating in your life, work, and in this blog. A heartfelt thank you.

9:33 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Universities