Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Casting Stones



I woke this morning to an e-mail from Globe and Mail journalist Brent Jang letting me know that an article that he had written about my role as a private investigator in the Westjet - Air Canada feud was in print today. He also let me know that there was an extensive article on the Commissioner of the RCMP and his conflicting testimonies before the Parliamentary public safety and security committee.

When I bought the paper I was struck by the irony of my photograph being on the front page with the Commissioner. For those who know my public story with the RCMP, it would be safe to say that Commissioner Zaccardelli was highly influential in my forced resignation from the RCMP in 2002. So influential, that the Federal Court of Canada criticized his innapropriate involvement in my case as the Commissioner and overturned the decision, re-instating me to the RCMP.

When speaking with a friend from the media this morning, I was asked my thoughts on what is happening within the RCMP and in particular with the scrutiny that Mr. Zaccardelli is facing at the moment.

I have been honest about my own shortcomings on this blog, with nothing to hide or be ashamed of on my own journey. So, in all honesty I wanted to say, "what goes around comes around." Yet, I had to reflect at how cheap and vindictive this attitude is and could be if I were to allow it to fester into vengeful bitterness.

Taking the time to reflect, and yes, pray about this situation I am able to come to a place of empathy for the Commissioner. It is evident that indeed he seems to have been caught in the embarassing position of giving contradictory evidence before the committee. Facing increasing demands for his resignation, and a distancing of allegiance from the Prime Minister, it would seem that his fate is sealed.

But, what to do with how one feels about this? Examining the heart, mind and soul of the human condition, including my own, I am struck by how gleeful we can become when another person is held to account for their perhaps, less than noble actions, particularly if they have hurt us personally. Was Mr. Zaccardelli's actions all that different from the modus operandi of many public figures, business leaders, or anyone else for that matter?

Deceit, by way of omission or commission, is more common than most of us are even aware. Why do we become so indignant at the deception of others when we cannot see the deception that may be lurking in our own lives? I wonder if the indignancy of many of the more vocal MP's towards the Commissioner, comes more from a place of political point scoring than it does from a deep moral sense of right and wrong?

" Where do moral absolutes come from?" I asked my humanist friend this morning. " That's a good question" she replied. If moral absolutes do not come from God, then we are left with an individualistic understanding of right and wrong ( in other words we become our own gods) or we are at the mercy of the whims of the masses ( shaped by the more powerful, and possibly corrupt leaders of society.) Either way, moral right and wrong becomes fuzzy and subjective, and we justify, hide, deflect, bully, or use euphemisms to describe our behaviour.

I am all for experiencing the life giving grace of the consequences of our own actions. Painful as these consequences may be, they are often the springboard to new life and purpose if one slows down long enough to examine their own behaviour and wrestle with the nagging question of why we do what we do. Consequences can take place, however, without condemnation and villification.

Mr. Zaccardelli will be experiencing the consequences of his apparent misleadings to the committee. The instructions of my own moral compass, however, tells me that I cannot be happy about this. Rather I am called to have empathy and to pray for him. I much prefer this Way than the easier path that comes from the inclinations of my own dark side to condemn and take pleasure in his situation.

We all deserve empathy when coming face to face with the natural consequences of our behaviours. We all need to reflect that perhaps, if faced with the same pressures, circumstances, and life situation, that our own actions may not be that far off from those that we would be tempted to condemn. I prefer not to cast stones. In fact, if I were to be truthful, I can't.

6 Comments:

Blogger Stew Carson said...

Seeing the world with Jesus eyes, Kingdom Living, is to find the redemptive angle wherever it is presented. That is a signpost of the Kingdom indeed.

4:33 p.m.  
Blogger 7204 said...

Bob, we spoke a few years back. I called you shortly after Macleans published their article about you. I was the gentleman who had been shown the door at Depot without cause. Now as was then, you were where I wanted to be, you did what I so desperately wanted to do. At that time, you talked to me about detachment lest the problem consume you. While the problem consumes me less now (thanks in large part to depression meds), I find that yet again, you are where I want to be.

Your tone is one of forgiveness and empathy for a man who did you and others significant amounts of dirt. Sadly, in that regard, I am still very much in the 'dark side'.

In a letter to my MP, rewritten during the course of the day yesterday to match the changing events, my first draft called for Giuliano's head on a proverbail stick. Having fallen on his sword, I retoned the letter. I took somewhat of a Zen approach to the outcome: I have waited patiently by the side of the river to see the bodies of my enemies float by. Not a christian attitude by any stretch of the imagination, and I know me and the BIG GUY are going to have words if I make it that way.

I still fly a relatively straight and narrow path, have broken no laws, but can no longer call myself a boy scout. However, I have nothing to fall back on in terms of memories, in terms of having made a difference in what I know I was meant to do with my time on this earth. I still think like one, I still act like one, but I am not one. I will never be one.

I have some comfort that as of December 15th, a mutual link in our respective paths will be joining us in no longer being part of the brotherhood. I take solace that his careers ends exactly 7 years to the day that my dreams of serving plummeted at terminal velocity.

Unlike your case, he likely only had a small role to play in my demise. Unlike you, however, the wounds left by all parties have cut far deeper than one could ever imagine. They have altered my life forever. My story, and the stories of more like me (I find out there are indeed more, such as James Maroney) will never be heard.

Perhaps not having been given a fair shake by anyone in the Force is what keeps me bitter.

Believe me, I truly do not want to be this way. While you are praying for Mr. Z, perhaps you could squeeze one in for me as well. I believe I need as much now as I will at the end of my days.

1:04 p.m.  
Blogger Richard R said...

Beautifully written--and the right time of year too :) May the grace you've expressed here bring comfort to Zaccardelli.

4:17 p.m.  
Blogger tomax7 said...

Came across your site via Small Dead Animals.

Great to see someone sharing their thoughts and faith openly, especially a former RCMP as I'm sure you've seen your share of religious hyprocrites.

You show the right stuff in not allowing yourself to get bitter over the Zaccardelli case.

Romans 8:28

cheers
tom

5:44 p.m.  
Blogger Bob S said...

Hey 7204 My heart goes out to you as I hear your pain and disillusionment. I can say unequivocally that I could not get to a place of relative wholeness ( I say relative because we are all broken in some way) without my faith. Yes I spent many a night in tears, angry, confused, depressed. My understanding of the world and right and wrong was turned upside down in a radical way. I read in a Bible that someone loaned me to ask and I would be answered, seek and I will find, knock and the door would be opened.

So I asked, sought, knocked... and continue to do so. I pray that you may find the way of Jesus which is more freedom than you could ever imagine. Maybe God has a different plan for you, if you would ask, seek, knock.
If you would like to send me an e-mail we could communicate a little more "off-blog"

8:15 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate the compassion and wisdom expressed in your blog. I can't judge what has happened with Mr. Zaccardelli, and wonder if any of us will ever know the full truth. I'm aware of a quote that suggests 'nothing does more damage than it is true.'
May he find peace...may we all find peace.
This may be a catalyst, an opportunity for transmutation.

9:59 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Universities