Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Those who fight monsters...



" He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes upon you."

Nietsche


Several years ago this Nietsche quote was hung on my wall to remind me, as a cop, of my own capacity to engage in the actions and behaviours of those that I was investigating. This was particularly true in the world of undercover, where one has to be grounded when working in grey areas. Temptations, frustrations, ego, all conspiring together to bring good people to a place of darkness and despair. I truly believe that when we can come to the understanding of our own capacity for evil, while we may choose good, then we can come to a place of empathy and compassion for others. We want to deny the places in our hearts that are less than noble, our self centeredness, pride and arrogance and sense of entitlement: " I deserve....."

In denial, however, we can never come to a place of healing. about seven years ago I sent laminated copies of this quote to several undercover officers who were friends. They appreciated the reminder that when spending alot of time in the dragon's lair, how easily one can come to enjoy the surroundings and lose sight of who they truly are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Universities