Monday, July 31, 2006

Twelve Steps to Recovery

There is something that is both unnerving and exciting about posting ones musings on a blog for all to read. As I wrestle with my own questions and personal motivations as to why I even take the time to sit and write, I am embracing the freedom and finding the peace with the acknowledgement that I have no control over who may choose to take the time to read and either accept or reject what I have to say.

While in previous posts I have written about the healing of an individual, I will attempt in the next several posts to examine the reformation or recovery of the culture itself, that, of course, is made up of individuals.

Arguably, the most effective 'program' for transformational change in an individual struggling with addictions is the "twelve step" program. I have done some work with people that are in the program and I am familiar with similar programs designed to assist people in all areas of emotional, psychological, and spiritual struggle. The twelve step program is applicable to all who have lived in, or are experiencing relational dysfunction, not just those who struggle with addiction.

The idea came to me that the twelve step program could be applied to the ailments of a culture, corporation, or group in need of change. While I may use the RCMP as my contextual culture, it strikes me that this is not only applicable to all police services but it would also apply to other working entities struggling with low morale, poisonous environments, and general malaise. To be certain, there are some healthy areas within a policing culture, all of which are guided by strong and compassionate leadership.

The twelve steps is a recovery program that brings healing. That is my hope for an institution and profession that I care for very deeply. However, one of the most widely recognized characteristics of any successful twelve step journey is the ability to admit that there is a problem. This is why there is a requirement for those involved in the program to openly confess their problem- be that addictions, compulsions, or any other harmful dysfunctions. In contrast to a personal introduction, this twelve step journey may begin with a confession like this:

" I am the profession of policing made up of individuals struggling well or not so well with life. Like the individual, I have a good side, a noble side, and a redemptive side. I also have a dark side, a hurtful side, and a dysfunctioning side. I am on the road to recovery."

Please stay tuned for Step One.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Universities