Saturday, July 29, 2006

With a Rebel Yell.....

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." - G.K. Chesterton - Everlasting Man, 1925

One of the purposes of this blog is to challenge the traditional mindset of the cop culture, doing so from a position of respect and care, with the hope of encouraging change. When I speak of disillusionment the word actually means distancing oneself from the illusion. A few years ago, in my disciplinary decision for 'blowing the whistle' I was criticized by the adjudicating officer for 'leading a defiant lifestyle.' I was shocked, hurt, and exasperated with his assessment. This man did not know me, how could he possibly know what kind of lifestyle I led? My record was impeccable, I had received early and rapid promotions, and my file was filled with very positive evaluations. Certainly not evidence of a 'defiant lifestyle.'

Now, had he said that I was the type of person who would respectfully challenge the status quo and traditional methods of management and leadership, or ineffective policies and strategies, he would have been right. Calling that a 'defiant lifestyle' took a tremendous leap of logic, where the evidence would certainly not support the assessment.

What I learned through this experience is that many people are not comfortable with the questioning or challenging of poor or outdated, if not fundamentally wrong, modes of operation. The 'illusion' that is guarded , in many ways by abuse of power, administrative bullying, and sometimes, sadly, even subversive smear campaigns, is held by a fierce grip of control that does not let go easily.

Many cops, therefore, become 'dis' illusioned. I can now see that being disillusioned with my profession and organization was actually a good thing. I have grown from this and learned to embrace the side of myself that desires to reject the illusion.

I confess to the rebel within, and I encourage others to learn how to harness and positively feed that rebel spirit to bring about necessary and bold changes in their environment. The changes I speak of are changes where mutual respect, wise leadership, compassionate decision making, and working environments free of oppression and deception, become the norm and not the exception. Not exactly a position you might consider from someone leading a 'defiant lifestyle!'

1 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye The Noo said...

Looks like you are headed to be a chaplain; this blog is a step in that direction. I did a B.A. Theology at Glasgow Bible college, which is now called International Christian College. I went on to do a post-grad in education and now teach:RMPS (Religious Moral and Philosophical studies)at high school level. Chaplaincy is a great opportunity for ministry. Sounds like you needed one in the past and can be one for others in the present and future.

1:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Universities