Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Objective Truth - Step Two

The Twelve Steps - Step Two

Original Wording ( A.A.): We came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Corporate Wording: We came to believe that objective virtues such as truth, respect, humility, wisdom and courage, when pursued and modeled by the highest levels of leadership, will transform a culture and restore us to nobility.

Commentary:

Anyone who knows me or has worked with me can attest to my former wild and rebellious side. The paradox in my own behaviour and actions was that while I was not necessarily leading a life of integrity and courage, I was passionately desiring to find it in the leadership of the RCMP. To find a mentor with courage, compassion and wisdom was to find a life giving source and model for how one may lead with integrity.

I confess to the incongruency of my own standards of behaviour while still searching for a higher standard in others, particularly those in senior management. C.S. Lewis' words on this point ring true. " I hope you will not misunderstand what I am going to say. I am not preaching and heaven knows I do not pretend to be better than anyone else. I am only trying to call attention to a fact; the fact that this year , or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people."

Several years ago the RCMP developed a value statement that I believed in and wanted to live my life by. However, finding a role model of those virtues that I would want to follow became, regrettably, like a search for the holy grail.

The cliche of 'walking the talk' became the buzz phrase but I came to realize that what constituted the standard of what that walk looked like, was highly subjective. I have come to learn that mentorship can come in many ways. Books and authors became my mentors as I desired more than anything to discover if there was such a thing as objective truth and goodness. My re-committed relationship with God, became my new life force.

The RCMP membership is looking to its leaders for guidance and goodness, if not greatness. The influence of a highly ethical, courageous, and compassionate leader is immeasurable in its ability to bring change and health. As a corporation it is not the stated values that will bring about recovery, it is the living of the virtues that will. To quote C.S. Lewis again: ( one of my mentors !) " Right actions done for the wrong reason do not help to build the internal quality or character called a 'virtue' and it is this quality or character that really matters."

If a police officer ( at all ranks) commits to the development of these virtues, and holds strong to the compass they provide, they will have tremendous influence in their institution, in spite of the odds.

Natural Law, or the law of decent behaviour, protects,nurtures and rewards a life lived by these virtues, even in the face of adversity and oppression. Natural Law ( for those so inclined, ... God ) is a power that is unstoppable in its ability to transform an individual, culture, institution, or nation.

Goodness and truth always shines through the darkness. This power is much greater than any institutional ethos based on words and principles that have not penetrated the heart of the individual, the institution or its leaders.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye The Noo said...

Sounds like you have your priorities sussed out now. When you put anything on a pedestal that should not be there you are setting yourself up to be let down.

Continued blessings.

2:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Universities